Friday, July 14, 2006

"Parents Wanted" by George Harrar
My ds selected this from his summer reading list. It was actually located in the adult section of the library; therefore I thought it would be in my best interest to scan through it first. The premise of the book is centered around a child's struggle to make it through the system and into an adoptive home. Something about this book reminded me of Free Willy...dont ask me why...there's just an uncanny resemblence. The child in the story does seem to get the message rather quickly and learns to change his behavior to adapt to his new family...whereas our children are still a work in progress and did not settle in nearly as quick. Don't get me wrong, it is by no means far-fetched and I still consider it to be a good read. The cover indicated that the book won a: Milkweed prize for Children's literature. If your child has this book on his/her list for summer reading...I say go grab it! Perhaps it would help to foster a sense of compassion for others, as I am sure there are plenty of children that are foster/adopted in his/her school and this would help to give a better understanding to the situation.

No comments: